Short Calculus MAT 16B, Section 2
MWF 1:10 - 2 pm, KLEIBR 3
Instructor : Amitabh Basu
Office Hours : Monday 2:30 - 3:30 pm, Wednesday 2:30 - 3:30 pm, email for appointment. Office Hours will be in my office : Mathematical Sciences Building (MSB) 3111.
Email : abasu [at] math [dot] ucdavis [dot] edu
Teaching Assistant : MSB 3118 (Calculus Room) is available from 11 am - 6 pm, Monday - Friday.
In addition, our lead TA for this course will be Nuen Tsang Yang (Matt). His email is : matyang [at] ucdavis [dot] edu.
Text : Calculus (16 Series), by Larson and Edwards
Syllabus and Schedule : We will follow the department syllabus.
Drop Deadline : April 22, 2011.
- Practice Final solutions are up. (see below)
- I will have extra office hours on Tuesday, June 7, from 1 - 4pm.
- Calculators WILL BE allowed in the Final !!!
- I have put up a Practice final. (see below)
- FINAL EXAM INFO : Room STORER 1322, June 9, Thursday from 1:00 - 3:00 pm.
- Midterm II solutions are up (see below).
- Midterm II grades are out ! Please check SmartSite.
- The solutions for the Practice Midterm are up (see below).
- Practice Midterm II is up (see below).
- I have clarified that the lowest WEEK's worth of Homework will be dropped (see below).
- The syllabus for Midterm II will include material covered AFTER Midterm I and upto (and including) the lecture on Friday, May 6.
- Midterm I solutions are up (see below).
- Special office hours on Friday, April 15 from 2:15 pm - 3:30 pm !! Clarify any doubts before the midterm on Monday.
- The Student Disability Center asks that students interested in serving as paid notetakers for this course please contact Russ Zochowski at rjzochowski [at] ucdavis [dot] edu. Notetakers are paid a stipend of $25 per unit. Students are asked to put notetaker, the course title and number, and instructor's name in the subject lines of their emails.
- I have put up a Practice Midterm. Please see below !
EXAM AND GRADING INFORMATION
There will be 2 in-class examinations (Midterm I and Midterm II) and a Final exam. In addition, I will assign homeworks after each lecture which will be due on Mondays.
Midterms and Final
- WebWork will be used for all the homeworks. Please learn how to use it correctly ! Here is a Getting Started Guide.
Here is the link to the WebWork Course Site
- WebWork is not meant to give you concrete feedback on where you are making a mistake in a problem. It is only able to check your answer for correctness. If you would like more feedback on your homework attempts, please visit the Calculus room, or email me for an appointment, or visit me during office hours. Unfortunately, WebWork at this stage cannot give constructive feedback.
- I will post a homework on WebWork after each lecture which will be due on the following Monday (at midnight - so 12:00 am, Tuesday). A Homework assignment will be posted on the same day as the lecture by 6pm. If no Homework appears on your WebWork course page by 6pm, there will be no homework for that lecture day. It is your responsibility to check if a new homework has appeared on WebWork on a lecture day.
- It is highly advisable for you to attempt a homework as soon as possible after it appears on the WebWork site. This will make sure you are keeping in pace with the class and not lagging
behind. Lagging behind in this class is going to be very very hard to recover from - we have to jog along at quite a brisk speed.
- Calculators may be used for your Homeworks. They are NOT allowed in any of the Midterms
or the Final exam (see below).
- You are allowed to consult your fellow students on the Homeworks.
- The lowest homework grade will be dropped when your final grade is computed. One whole week's worth of homework counts as ONE homework. The week in which you have the lowest grade will be dropped - the entire week's homework will be dropped..
- The Final exam is going ot held in STORER 1322 on Thursday, June 9 from 1-3pm.
- Midterm I will be on Monday, April 18, 2011 in class. Midterm II will be on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 in class. The final exam is on Thursday, June 9, 2011, 1 - 3 pm. There will be NO MAKE UP exams and a missed exam will result in a 0 grade.
- Both Midterms and the Final Exam will be closed book. No calculators are allowed in the Midterms. You CAN use a calculator on the FINAL.
- Practice Midterm I.
Practice Midterm I Solutions.
The syllabus for Midterm I will be all that is covered in the lectures upto and including the lecture on April 13, Wednesday. This means it will cover Sections 4.1 - 4.6 from Chapter 4, Sections 5.1 - 5.3 in Chapter 5 from the textbook.
- Midterm I solutions.
- Practice Midterm II.
Practice Midterm II Solutions.
The syllabus for Midterm II will be all that is covered AFTER Midterm I and upto (and including) the lecture on May 6, Friday. This means it will cover Sections 5.4, 5.5, 5.7 in Chapter 5, Sections 6.1 - 6.3 in Chapter 6 and Section 8.5 in Chapter 8 from the textbook.
- Midterm II solutions.
- Practice Final.
Practice Final Solutions.
The syllabus for the final is everything that was covered from the beginning of the quarter until the last lecture.
- Your final grade will be computed as follows :
Homeworks - 20%
Midterm I - 20%
Midterm II - 20%
Final - 40%
- SmartSite will be used to post the exam grades. You should be able to access your grades there.
- Midterm I Grades are up on SmartSite. The statistics for this exam are as follows :
Average : 69.71/80 (87.13 %)
Std. Deviation : 11.15
Median : 74.00 (92.5%)
- Midterm II Grades are up on SmartSite. The statistics for this exam are as follows :
Average : 67.10/94 (71.38 %)
Std. Deviation : 14.95
Median : 69.25/94 (73.67%)
You can use the form below to give me any feedback anonymously. Your feedback can be about anything related to course - pace of lectures, homework, exams etc. I welcome your suggestions !